Cushing Neuroscience Institute at Southside Hospital Celebrates Its Five-Year Partnership with North Shore-LIJ’s Neurosciences Program
BAY SHORE, NY –
“Our partnership with Southside Hospital has allowed us to bring together the vast resources of the North Shore-LIJ Health System in providing the highest quality of medical care to residents of Suffolk County,” said Raj K. Narayan, MD, chair of neurosurgery at North Shore University Hospital (NSUH) and Long Island Jewish Medical Center (LIJMC) and director of North Shore-LIJ’s CNI.
Since the partnership in 2007, SSH’s neurology and neurosurgery services have expanded in numerous ways:
- Became the first hospital in Suffolk County to receive the New York State Designated Stroke Center’s Gold Plus Award for three consecutive years.
- In collaboration with NSUH, developed a telemedicine program utilizing specialized robotic technology that provides unique access to interventional stroke specialists.
- Had its epilepsy program recognized by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers as a level III Epilepsy Center and is the only designated program in Suffolk County.
- Performed nearly 1,000 complex neurosurgical procedures since CNI’s inception.
- Contributed to the development of a Comprehensive Spine Center offering efficient and quality spine care.
- Partnered with Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation to launch an innovative Concussion Program for adults and children.
“The expansion of our neurology and neurosurgery services has benefited our community so we can continue to offer our patients state-of-the-art medical care right in their own neighborhood,” said Steven A. Rosen, MD, medical director of CNI at SSH.
One of the many patients who benefited from CNI and SSH’s partnership is Margaret Johnson, 56, of Islip, NY. In September 2012, Ms. Johnson was diagnosed with a rare, spinal hemangioma, a four-inch benign tumor that was surgically removed by Salvatore Insinga, DO, chief of neurosurgery at SSH. Ms. Johnson said of the care she received, “The tumor could have grown much more and caused permanent damage, but thanks to Dr. Insinga and the staff at SSH, my life was saved.”
About North Shore-LIJ’s Cushing Neuroscience Institute (CNI)
The Cushing Neuroscience Institute (CNI), part of the North Shore-LIJ Health System, consists of multidisciplinary clinical and research teams that provide patients with state-of-the-art treatments for the entire spectrum of neurological diseases, including brain aneurysms, AVM’s, stroke, traumatic brain injury, movement disorders, brain and spinal cord tumors, diseases of the spine, muscle and peripheral nerves, Chiari malformation, syringomyelia, neurodegenerative diseases, pain, epilepsy and neurological diseases of infancy and childhood.