Neurological Disorders, Symptoms & Conditions
Neurology is the medical specialty encompassing diseases, conditions and infections of the nervous system including the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves.
There are some basic symptoms that are common among all neurological conditions. These symptoms include differences in speech patterns, loss of balance and coordination, numbness in a single extremity, weakness, memory loss, difficulty moving, tremors, rigid muscles and difficulty swallowing. There may also be an inability to perform tasks such as swinging the arms, blinking or other acts that are normally involuntary.
The General Neurology Program at Cushing Neuroscience Institute of North Shore-LIJ Health System is a multidisciplinary program focused on developing state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic solutions for neurological conditions which affect the brain, spine, nerves and muscles. Our general neurologists have subspecialty training and are highly trained to diagnose and treat a full range of neurological conditions, including:
- Memory loss
When further neurological care is required, our physicians can make referrals to the appropriate specialist within the neurology department. These specialty departments are dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of neurological conditions including:
- Multiple sclerosis – a nervous system disease that affects your brain and spinal cord
- Stroke – or "brain attack," results due to a complete lack of blood flow to the brain
- Migraine – a very painful type of headache during which a person is very sensitive to light and sound
- Epilepsy and seizure disorders – a brain issue that occurs due to sudden, abnormal electrical activity in the brain
- Alzheimer's disease and dementia – two of the most common forms of memory loss; related to issues among older people
- Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders – affect nerve cells, or neurons, in a part of the brain that controls muscle movement
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus – a rise in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the brain's ventricles or cavities which affects brain function
- Peripheral neuropathy, myasthenia gravis and neuromuscular and peripheral diseases – involve damage to the peripheral nervous system (the nerves outside of the brain) which transmits information from the brain and spinal cord to every other part of the body
To make an appointment with one of our general neurologists:
Cushing Neuroscience Institute’s General Neurology program makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best neurological and neurosurgical care for yourself or your family. Simply email us at email@example.com or call us at 844-56Neuro (844-566-3876). You may also fill out our Request an Appointment form.