Pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience that affects each person differently. Generally, pain is viewed as a symptom of underlying disease that will end after healing takes place. But, when pain does not subside, quality of life may become diminished.
The Pain Center at North Shore-LIJ Health System's renowned Cushing Neuroscience Institute is comprised of a multidisciplinary team of pain management clinicians that includes physicians, nurse practitioners, psychological care providers and rehabilitation professionals. Our experienced professionals take both the physical and emotional aspects of pain into consideration so that patients can receive the most effective care.
Acute and chronic pain can be managed with medication or interventional pain management procedures to provide relief for a wide variety of conditions, such as:
- Low back pain
- Facial pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Post-surgical pain
- Nerve injuries
- Myofascial pain
- Cancer pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Repetitive stress injury
At the Pain Center, our services are combined with our neurology, anesthesiology and rehabilitation medicine services. Both the body and mind must be taken into consideration for treatment to be effective. The goals of our multidisciplinary pain management approach are to:
- Manage the pain through medication trials and/or nerve block procedures
- Strengthen the body with a wide variety of physical rehabilitation techniques
- Empower the patient's spirit with psychological help for dealing with the devastating consequences of chronic pain
- Treat the whole person
The ideal treatment for pain is to eliminate the underlying cause. Sometimes this is not possible, and treatment must concentrate on the symptom and its effects. A customized pain management plan helps each patient learn to utilize medications more effectively and practice techniques that can increase coping skills and promote a return to a more normal lifestyle.
Who Can Benefit from the Pain Center's Services?
- Patients who have not responded to initial medical interventions aimed at eliminating or improving their pain
- Patients with pain conditions that may respond to nerve block procedures: conditions such as acute back pain, sciatica, shingles, reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD or CRPS), myofascial pain or neck and arm pain
- Patients with pain that cannot be attributed to a clear cause
- Patients who want to learn more effective coping strategies for managing their pain
- Patients whose personal physicians would like a second opinion or additional treatment suggestions
- Patients who desire a comprehensive and coordinated pain management treatment program
Make an appointment at the Pain Center:
Cushing Neuroscience Institute’s Pain Center makes it easy for you to take the first steps in ensuring the best neurological and neurosurgical care for yourself or your family. Simply fill out our Request an Appointment form, email us at email@example.com or call us at (516) 325-7070.